|Lemon & Blueberry cupcakes - an easy recipe and a simple and satisfying flavour combination|
For about 16 cupcakes
1.5 cups plain white flour + 2tbsp, sifted
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
8 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
thinly chopped zest of 1 organic lemon
2 large eggs
1 tbsp natural vanilla extract
1.5 tbsp lemon juice
½ cup full fat milk
1 cup fresh blueberries
For the frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
5 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon oil or other natural lemon flavouring
blue food colouring (optional)
To garnish: blue nonpareils, silver balls or fresh blueberries
· Preheat the oven at 175°C.
· Line the cupcake forms with paper cups.
· In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Blend together and reserve.
· In a separate bowl, combine the butter and sugar, and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy (5 to 10 minutes depending on room temperature). Add the lemon zest.
· Add the eggs, one at a time.
· Add the vanilla and lemon juice.
· With the mixer on low speed, add the flour and milk alternatively, 1/3 at a time. Beat until just incorporated.
· In a small bowl, toss the blueberries in 2 tbsp flour before gently folding them into the batter (this prevents them from sinking at the bottom of the cupcakes during baking).
· Divide the batter between the paper cups, filling them no more than ¾.
· Bake for 18 to 20mn. Let cool in the forms for 5mn then transfer to a rack for complete cooling.
· To make the frosting, combine the butter and cream cheese in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until homogenous.
· Add the lemon juice and lemon oil.
· Gradually add in the confectioner’s sugar, increasing the mixer speed. Beat until perfectly smooth.
· Refrigerate the frosting for about 30mn before using. Sprinkle with the garnishes and refrigerate the cupcakes until about 30mn before serving.