Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Not all lemons are created equal...

... or so did I realise recently when a fellow foodie was kind enough to share with me a jar of his freshly made Meyer lemons marmalade. Meyer lemons? Never heard of these before, I must humbly admit I had to Wiki it... turns out this divine citrus is originally from China and was brought to the US at the beginning of the last century, where the variety was perfected to give what is now known as the "improved" Meyer lemon. Being a cross between an orange and a lemon, the Meyer is much sweeter than your ordinary lemon, so much so that it can actually be eaten on its own. The fruit, and particularly the skin, is very fragrant and aromatic and has almost a medicinal quality to it - I am sure it would actually be pretty awesome prepared in the same way orangettes are (candied and dipped in dark chocolate - Meyerettes, anyone??).



For now I only got to taste the ripe fruit (available in season from Great in Pacific Place for those of you who are in Honkie) and the absolutely wonderful marmalade made by my foodie friend... the thin cut of the peel allowed the aromatic Meyers to express their full potential, and I enjoyed quite a few delicious desserts by just dropping a generous dollop of the golden delicacy over a full-fat (French...) vanilla yoghurt.



A huge thank you to W. (aka The Caramel Fairy) for sharing his enlightening delicacy with this ignorant Frog.

No comments:

Post a Comment