Sunday, May 1, 2011

Froggie does Nam - Part 3a: Springrolls with fresh perilla leaves

After exploring with a couple of Vietnamese recipes earlier this year, I decided to invite a couple of friends over today and cook up a storm: a whole Vietnamese meal in 4 dishes. I love the vibrant colours and fresh flavours of Vietnamese food, and in this Part 3 I will explore the full spectrum, from  seafood to desserts via a hearty pork stew. My dear friend Em (whose dad is originally from Vietnam) and the usual suspects J&T were my faithful guinea pigs, and we spent yet another chilled Sunday afternoon on my grass green Ikea carpet, getting (mildly) intoxicated and talking about the state of the world... Have a look at parts 3b/c/d for the other recipes and pictures. Bon appétit!

***

Several weeks ago, my dear friend Lady Dyson 2000 gave me a baby perilla plant as a gift. As anything green that enters my house generally dies within days, I was actually quite surprised that this sturdy and obstinate little weed managed to survive me for several weeks. As I wanted to get the best of the fragrant fresh leaves, I decided on a very light dish - Vietnamese springrolls. These normally call for mint and/or holy basil, and the intense flavour of the perilla would make a perfect substitute.


Vietnamese springrolls with fresh perilla leaves

My perilla plant - a gift from my friend Lady Dyson 2000

Sushi-grade sweet shrimps, sous-vide and ready for poaching


Perilla leaves, harvested and ready-to-eat

Mise-en-place for springrolls: shredded sweet Japanese carrot, beansprouts, cooked shrimps, perilla leaves

Cooked ground Yamagata pork


Vietnamese salad rolls with fresh perilla leaves (for about 12 rolls)

12 dried rice paper wrappers (20cm in diameter)
500ml water (for soaking)

250gr ground pork, pan-fried until cooked and slightly golden
300gr fresh medium prawns, steamed whole or cooked sous-vide, peeled, de-veined and halved lengthwise
1 small head butter lettuce
6 large perilla leaves (or fresh mint and Thai holy basil if perilla is not available)
150gr cooked rice vermicelli
100gr beansprouts
1 carrot, peeled and thinly grated
1 bunch coriander leaves
Some chopped pan-roasted peanuts

·       Soak the rice paper wrappers in water a few at a time, to prevent them sticking or becoming too soggy as you roll.
·       Put a softened wrapper on a dry flat surface (like a cutting board).
·       Remove the central crunchy part of a lettuce leaf and use the soft part to wrap around some beansprouts.
·       Place half a perilla leaf on the wrapper, closer to one edge. Add the roll on top.
·       Sprinkle some carrot, pork, peanuts and add some vermicelli.
·       Fold-in the sides, then fold the edge of the wrapper closer to you on top and roll up halfway.
·       Place 2 prawn halves side-by-side on top and continue rolling.
·       Repeat until all the ingredients are used up.

Serve with Vietnamese fish sauce dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment