Tuesday, July 27, 2010

*Twinkle*Twinkle*Twinkle*

Another brilliant lunch at Caprice, very good window-side table and cheese galore :-)
Should hire bodyguards... next target on my hug list :-)
Booze over lunch on a work day, moi?? JAMAIS!!
Aahhh... the butter!!

In this pic: beurre Bordier doux, beurre Bordier salé

Amuse-bouche: mushroom velouté and aubergine tempura


Nice and creamy mushroom velouté - the mushrooms were obviously wild so pretty powerful flavours. The aubergine was deep-fried tempura-style and my guest and I were debating what the aubergine had actually been dipped into before being fried - she thinks miso, I think more of one of these soy sauces with radish added... can Elfette shed light here ?



Tourteau Crab Tiramisu with Fruity Marinade and Tandoori Spices

In this pic: mango jelly cubes, shellfish "jam"
Light, fruity and refreshing - and very complex at the same time. At this point in the meal I still had hopes to have both cheese AND dessert... before being ambushed by Jeremy and his double-portion of cheese!! The crab was very sweet, and the pairing(s) of the flavours in this dish worked really well. The top thin layer of mascarpone cream added a bit of fat to an otherwise pretty lean composition. The flavours of the garnishes were very intense and interesting, I tried several combinations and I don't think I had 2 mouthfuls that actually tasted the same... great way to start a meal :-)
The work on the different textures and flavours in the garnishes was pretty impressive - that's attention to details pushed to the extreme...

So beautiful it deserves a second pic... look at that layering :-)



Challans Duck Fillet Cuit au Plat with Duck Leg Pastilla, Young Carrot and Aromatic Pearl Barley


I asked for my duck to be cooked just pink, which the kitchen of course managed perfectly (am not a huge fan of very red duck). The tender and juicy meat came on a bed of sweet carrot purée and a sprig of fried carrot leaves. The pearl barley was nicely firm to the bite and very aromatic indeed, enhanced by candied orange peel which paired very nicely with the carrot purée and the duck. The jus was to die for. Attentive service popped over just before I finished my meat to deliver and extra-dose of the nectar, and I then proceeded to ask for some more baguette and made a point to mop my plate clean. I think the kitchen got the message loud and clear ;-)



An "aerial" view of the whole dish - just to appreciate the arty and colourful composition

I have a terrible weakness for Caprice's pastillas... whether duck or lamb, they always come out totally awesome. The filo pastry is always perfectly crispy, and the seasoning of the meat is packed with flavours. This one came in a cute baby size with its cute little baby carrot on top... kawaii!!
Cheese Gromit!! We'll go somewhere where there's cheese!!
In this pic: coulommiers, the famous 4-year old comté, tomme de Carayac, fourme d'ambert, Selles-sur-Cher, chèvre affiné au Marc de Bourgogne, errr... sorry I didn't quite get your name ??, Anneau du Vicbihl
I think Jeremy had gone at war with the pastry chef and decided to ruin all guests' hopes of ever having dessert by serving them humongous portions of cheese (since then, the PC has deserted over to the Dark Side)
petits-fours: warm madeleines and chocolate dipping sauce

















No comments:

Post a Comment