Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists (Neil Strauss)



I have to admit I bought this book out of pure curiosity and with very low expectations. Any NY Times bestseller normally sets my mediocrity alarm bell off, all the more when it comes with a positive review from GQ and Esquire... And yet I have to admit it is quite a witty piece of writing, very entertaining, genuinely funny and at times downright hilarious (I particularly enjoyed the bit where the author says men get excited by anything, even half a pitted avocado - just to quote one among many nuggets...). Except for the last few chapters, which I found frankly boring and way too conventional for my taste, this is a hugely enjoyable book - even though I am not planning to buy the sequel. The author writes unusually well for a journalist. Gentlemen, a word of warning - the "sarging" & pick-up techniques explained in this book work only (as the authors himself admits) with "nightclub chicks with an attention deficit disorder". Don't try these on any woman with half a brain, at best it will get you ignored - you don't wanna think about the worst...

No comments:

Post a Comment