Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Golden Leaf



This place had been on my to-eat list for ages, so I was only too happy to take the excuse of a friend visiting from London to drag him there - I did not hear any complaints...



Jellyfish, roast suckling pig, honey-glazed char siu
I liked the thick cut of the jellyfish (maximum crunch). The char siu was excellent (one of the best I've had recently). The roast suckling pig was very good too (but clearly not quite in the same league as Fook Lam Moon obviously...)

 

deep-fried tofu

the texture was just perfect... crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside, just seasoned with salt. I just couldn't stop nibbling on these...


I don't know much about wine so I tend to stay on the beaten track... this classic did not disappoint


Double-boiled supreme sharks' fin in a clear essence
This came with a supremely yummy broth (chicken, a hint of yunnan ham and probably many more ingredients...). The bean sprouts added a nice crunchy texture to the fin, which was topped with some very very sweet crab claw meat and crab roe. This dish was just superb.


Steamed garoupa - tableside saucing...



I love the simple way fish is prepared in Cantonese cuisine. Steamed so fresh it's almost still alive, a sprinkle of chopped spring onions, a dash of soy sauce, 3 drops of sesame oil and go... one of the most beatiful combinations of flavours. The fish was perfectly steamed and totally delish - I love my garoupa :-)
To me this dish exemplifies the supreme elegance of Cantonese cuisine.



Stir-fried beef with XO sauce

The strips of beef were very tender and juicy, the XO sauce was divine. Pretty awesome dish.


Choi sum

The broth was supremely yummy. Waiter, a straw please!!



Double-boiled superior bird's nest with syrup
This came with some coconut cream (which I did not try) and an extraordinarily yummy almond cream. Delish.


Mango pudding 

Yes I did order this!! (in case the European guests would be put off by the bird's nest, I needed a friendly fall-back option...). This was actually pretty flavourful, with the right sweet/tangy balance. Excellent, but I think someone should get brutally scolded for that sorry-looking tadpole of cream that came on top...




Steamed sponge cakes with olive seeds

Cute and yummy









No comments:

Post a Comment