Friday, July 30, 2010

Pigging out

I was lucky enough to return to the Kimberley Chinese Restaurant (located in the eponymous Hotel on the eponymous street in TST) for another feast, featuring their famous roasted stuffed suckling pig as the leading act. The food turned out to be as delightful as I remembered, packed with robust flavours and served in very generous portions. A debate raged among the attending foodies as to whether we should only order 2 pigs and the beef bone soup next time, and scrap all the other dishes. I can only approve of a piggy doggie-bag for brekkie the next day :-)




Deep-fried salmon skins, dusted with salt. Apparently these are "left-overs" from the buffet lunch upstairs at the Kimberley Hotel. Perfectly light and crispy, delish!

Pig's trotters with soy sauce and sesame oil. Very nice and full of collagen!

Jellyfish and garlic cucumber. A classic combination, very good ... and lots of garlic, Froggie likey :-)

Beef bone soup. I'd have this for breakfast every day if I could!

Beef bone soup

Beef bone soup. The broth was delicious, with so much dissolved collagen it made your lips sticky. I happily grabbed the bones with my hands to gnaw on the tasty meat. I would have gone for a second bowl if I hadn't had to pace myself for the stuffed piggy that I knew would come towards the end of the meal...

Stir-fried prawns with salt & pepper and soy sauce - again a classic, perfectly executed, with fresh, firm, sweet prawns. Yummy.

Baked stuffed crab shell - a few notches below the FLM version, but still very good. Plenty of sweet onions. It had some sort of sauce (which I couldn't really analyse properly...) between the crab and onion bits, which made it very moist and I think also lighter. Really enjoyed this.


The star of the evening: Mr Piggy
Chopping the stuffed piggy





This dish is what the Kimberley Chinese Restaurant became famous for. 30-day piglet, perfectly roasted with a delish crispy skin, and stuffed with a moist and fragrant stir-fried rice. Heaven in a plate. I wish I had 4 stomachs like cows just to be able to scoff a second slice :-)
Salt baked chicken. Good, even if a bit on the salty side indeed. Some guests complained that the skin was not crispy. I was very full at this point and was desperately trying to save some room for dessert, so I just had a small piece of breast, which was tender and reasonably juicy. Pretty decent.




Water spinach - so good I had to have seconds. The slight bitterness of the veggie was welcome to cut all the "collagen" (ahem...) we had earlier, and the use of deep-fried garlic made the dish fragrant and very delish.


Osmanthus jelly with wolfberries  - nice and light texture (much better than the rubber we had at Ming Court last week), reasonably fragrant,  and "Chinese bugnes" (no idea what these deep-fried strips are called, but this version was one of the best I've tasted - very light, not overly oily and sweetened with honey)


The mother of all ma lai gao ...
... and it was delicious!! Here again, a second helping was de rigueur :-)








No comments:

Post a Comment