Sunday, November 21, 2010

2010 Spice Odyssey

Tonight I'm having dinner in Kingston with Wendy. Kingston Jamaica maaaan, with food author and Caribbean cuisine authority Wendy Rahamut. Since my last trip to the Caribbean last year, I had been looking all over town for plantain bananas, and finally stumbled upon them in the most unlikely place (a posh supermarket for expats that I normally only go to for very specific cooking needs, such as pancetta and now rabbit legs...). I bought a heavy bunch and patiently waited a whole 10 days for my babies to ripen. Plantains can be used green, but what I had in mind required them to be ripe and sweet...

The recipes below are very largely inspired by Wendy's excellent cookbook Caribbean Flavors.

Jamaican Jerk Chicken and herbed plantain gratin




Basic ingredients for Jamaican Jerk Chicken: onion, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, lime juice, garlic, ginger, thyme, chillies and chives. As I could not find habaneros or scotch bonnets, I used a combination of fresh bird's eye and dried ground Cayenne and chipotle peppers (and, as usual, increased the chilli content of the recipe).

Jerk marinade, after careful slicing, chopping, pounding and squeezing.

Organic chicken thighs and drumsticks, lovingly smothered with jerk marinade. Cover with film and leave in the fridge overnight.
 
Jamaican jerk chicken, after about 30mn cooking (turn once)




Unripe plantains

The same plantains, 10 days later, finally ripe.

Boiled plantains - if you have never smelled the wonderful aroma of a perfectly ripe, just boiled and still hot plantain, go get some now!

Herbed plantain gratin (with cheese topping)


No comments:

Post a Comment